The arms of the Skinners’ Company were granted in 1634. The shield is patterned to look like the black and white flecks that appear on the ermine’s winter coat.
On top of the shield three ducal coronets capped with ermine symbolise the Company’s role in supplying costly furs to royal and aristocratic households.
A lynx supports the shield on the left and a sable marten on the right, with a small lynx on the helmet.
The fur of the lynx was held in great esteem and no one under the rank of an earl was allowed to wear it.
The Skinners’ motto is just as relevant today: “To God only be all glory’’
© 2007 – The Skinners’ Company